day 86: purchased


30-day Military Photo Challenge Day 10: Post a pic of the last military-related item you purchased and explain why you purchased it

:) okay


Marine Barbie and Ken

First, you have to understand three things:

1.) I am a die-hard second-hand/thrift store shopper.

2.) It is purely natural for any Marine family to have the Marine Corps Emblem, "Marines" or something of the like nature on most everything they own.

3.) I am the mother to three girls; hence, Barbies are quite popular in this house.

That being said, of course I snatched up this Marine Barbie set at the Goodwill 50% off sale last weekend for only $3.00. Since then, I have done my research and found that if only this pair was still in the entire original box, not just the cardboard backing, and if Ken wouldn't have lost his cover, and if both had shoes, there was no way I would've paid a mere $3 for them; eBay reports the current going rate at $100. In other words, I got a steal.

My girls have played with Ken....but not the female Marine. Apparently, Ken is "Prince Marine," a welcome addition to their Barbie family. The female, however, has been rejected. "Her hair looks hilarious!" I'm told. Oh well. Not the first female Marine that hasn't been popular, I suppose.

(one other side note of importance: when I was a girl child, I had Barbies, not as many as my kids do now, but I had Barbies. However, I was missing one important Barbie: KEN. Never had one. No one ever bought me one. Ever. Bitter? Yes. Oh, wait. Correction. I was given a GRANDPA knock-off Barbie that my mom bought me at a garage sale once. And he even came with a rocking chair. No joke. So is it any surprise that I finally bought myself a Ken doll, and that it was a huge bonus that he is a Marine? Not at all.)

Comments

Popular Posts