baby sleep secrets

I would like to lie and say that I'm extremely tired.  Exhausted.  The baby wakes every hour during the night, crying all the time.

But like I said, that's a lie.

If you believed this, then I'd have a reason to sport baggy eyelids and a paper Starbucks cup every morning after dropping the girls off at school.

Instead....I have a baby who cries only when she's hungry and sleeps between 5-7 hours at night.  Every night.  No joke.

Yes, my newborn baby is sleeping through the night.  That is not a lie.

My other babies never did that this young.  However, I'm not complaining.  Seems that God knew I'd need an easy 4th baby.  Thank you, Jesus.


So what's my secret?
I can't say exactly, but I know a few things that, combined together, are the perfect sleeping potion.

Reason #1: me.  One might think that by the time you get to your 4th baby, you've got it all figured out.  I wouldn't say that's true all the time....but experience is the best teacher.  I don't get as easily frustrated with Carter as I did with baby Kennedy.  I know things to try.  I know what worked with my other babies.  I have more help (aka 3 other daughters).

Reason #2: Halo Sleep Sack.  Lord have mercy, I love those things.  L.O.V.E. them.  My other babies were swaddled when they slept, but with a blanket....which meant that after an hour or so of sleep and squirming, the swaddle came undone.  Enter the sleep sack.  It's simple design keeps your baby swaddled and warm all night long.  Not only does this ingenious thing keep baby's arms snuggled up so she doesn't move her arms and scare herself and wake up (weird happening, I know), but it re-creates the snugness of the womb, keeping her cozy and asleep.  I put Carter in her sleep sack right before her last feeding of the night, around 10 or 11.  She only wears it during the night, and I take it off her after the feeding that officially starts our morning, usually between 6 and 7.

Reason #3: Noise.  One of the worst mistakes a new mom can make is to keep her house 100% quiet during the day while the baby naps.  Noise should be your friend, momma.  I've never had a baby who has had her days and nights mixed up, and I think this is why.  Keep the house noisy during the day, yes--even during baby's nap time.  Vaccuum.  Blast your music.  Keep the tv on.  Heck, have your other children at home (also uses less electricity this way).  At night, some white noise isn't a bad idea.  We always have the ceiling fan on in our bedroom, anyways.

Reason #4: Light.  Same deal as noise.  Naps during the day shouldn't be in a pitch-dark room.  Save that for night time.  But wait - don't forget a night light.  I am so not a fan of changing a poopy diaper at 4 am in pitch dark.

Reason #5: Time.  If Carter's nap gets close to 4 hours, I do wake her up.  She has to learn that the longer stretches of sleeping time are for during the night, not the day.  I let her sleep as long as she wants during the night.

Reason #6: Location.  Carter is baby #4, aka the LAST baby from this momma.  In other words, she's spoiled.  Who doesn't love to hold a sleeping baby?  If I want to hold her while she's napping, I do.  If Aaron wants to take a nap on the couch and hold her while she sleeps, I let him.  If the girls want to love on their baby sister while she snoozes, okay by me.  But whenever and as often as possible, I try to make sure she gets most of her nap time in the same bed that she sleeps in at night (currently, a Moses basket....which she is almost too long for ALREADY).  If baby gets too used to sleeping in the carseat, while being held, in a swing, etc., then of course she won't want to sleep by herself in her bed at night.

a sleeping baby is contagious

Reason #7: Eyes Open.  I know my Carter better than anybody else does.  I can tell you when she's getting sleepy.  Change her diaper, wrap her in a blanket, give her the paci if she wants it, and try laying her down in her bed before attempting to rock her to sleep.  The sooner she can learn to fall asleep on her own, the better.  Does this mean I don't pick her up if she cries?  Absolutely not. Babies need attention more than anything.  She doesn't put herself to sleep all the time.  But if she can for a nap or two a day, sweet.

sleepy baby, plus a clean diaper, plus a paci....she fell asleep on her own

So there you have it.  Seven things I wish I knew the first time I became a momma.

Honest disclaimer: I know these things won't make all babies sleep through the night.  I'm simply sharing what works for me.  And I think the biggest factor here is just Carter herself.  This is her demeanor and personality....yet I'm not complaining :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts