I just miss you

Aaron -
Of the people that read my writings, most probably think I tend to be a sad, depressed, pathetic person. You, though, know me the best, and I think tonight, only you know perfectly how I feel this very moment.
I couldn't have asked for a better past 4 or so days that I just spent with you. I simply had it made. I had your hand to hold whenever I wanted. I had you to pick on me....and yes, I did miss that. I had you to snuggle up next to when we watched a movie or two. I had you to spend hours with in the car, as we saw new things, laughed at hilarious things, wondered about things....together. I had you to buy me dinner, and I didn't have to cook. You even went way out of your way to find my favorite restaurant to eat at, when you certainly didn't have to. I didn't have to Skype you, because you were right there in front of me.
Believe me when I say that I tried hard this morning (each time) to not cry in front of you. I know how you don't like tears. But my mind kept thinking things like: only 2 more hours left, this is the last time you'll ride in the car with him, the last time you'll hug him, etc.
When my plane taxied the runway at Jacksonville, I felt my heels dragging behind, trying to make things stop. It didn't work.
Tonight I know you're feeling the same way, because you went to bed without even calling. I don't blame you. Sometimes I think it's just better for me to pass the time by sleeping the hours away, as if it will in some way make time go faster.
I need to finish this up. I have a bed-mate for the night who sees how sad I am, and she knows that the little way she can help is to keep her mom company.
I want you to know these things, things that I too often don't make a point to tell you:
1.) After 12 years of being by your side, it never gets old. I never tire of talking with you, and it seems that we seldom run out of things to say. Thank you for always doing your best to understand my words, and my silence.
2.) Sometimes I wonder why, and how, you've put up with me for this long. I am the queen of making mistakes and thinking I've got it all figured out, only for you to love me enough to point out the truth in it all. I love you for that, and for the fact that, despite it all, you still love me.
3.) I only somewhat agree with what you told me today, when you gave me my last hug for a while. You told me to not cry, because these months will be over before we know it. I know they will....kind of. Because this time in between really sucks.
4.) I love you.

Comments

  1. OH Heidi....you had me at tears at "I JUST MISS YOU"...my heart has broken a little more after reading this. It was 6 months ago today that I arrived in Cali so excited to see Nathanael on his leave...yet I knew my precious time with him would go by fast and it did. Everything that you said brought back memories of when I had to say goodbye...and those famous words I swear they teach these Marines that before they go on leave..."these months will be over before you know it"....I know that right now the old heart strings are being pulled, and I know that you have not known me very long but as a marine wife, and a friend I will not sugar coat it because I know what you are feeling...and to this day I still cry every single time I type Nate an email or say I love you and good bye on the phone...I can remember when Nate was in Iraq and I was living in Canada..I never felt so alone in all my life...yes I was raising two children and working full time...but it was like I was always....ALONE...until one day I was walking in the mall back in Canada (I had my Marines Wife t-shirt on)and a war vet and his wife came up to me and said a Marine's Wife eh? And I said I sure am and very proud of it....they began to tell me their story how they met over in Holland during the war...I told them my husband was deployed to Iraq and I began to cry because for the first time in 5 months since Nate left someone understood me...she was a military wife herself...she hugged me and said you are a strong woman even through those tears...she whispered in my ear before they said goodbye..."tough times don't last.....Tough people do"!! I have forever remembered those words. I feel your heartache I truly do...and you will make it through this deployment one day at a time...and yes our husbands are right it will be over before you know it...I know right now it seems raw but I promise you...."this too shall pass". As the time gets closer for my husbands rotation to come home and Aaron's to begin please remember this, you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers till he returns safely back home to you and your family. From one Marine Wife to another....GOD BLESS! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm not a Marine wife... but I love the way your friend's husband spells Nathanael - correctly :)

    I will tell you I have cried for you at random times over the past three days. I don't know if it helps to tell you that, or not. But I have. And I will for the duration.

    I love you and I am standing beside you...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts